Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Volunteer Spotlight: Karen Poon

Karen Poon is one of our most active and versatile Project Leaders. Karen has volunteered at 16 different L.A. Works managed projects and frequently supports us at events, committee meetings and social gatherings!! Karen is most committed to working with young people. As the leader of the Crafts with Kids @ Gramercy Place project, Karen contributes her smiling, easy-going leadership style along with fun and creative activities for youth and volunteers alike.

Below are some questions that Karen has kindly answered for us – thanks so much Karen!

1) Where were you born?
I was born in Hong Kong. I came to the U.S. for college when I was 16.

2) Most interesting fact about you?
I’m a big golf fan! I wanted to pursue a career in golf course management before I came to the U.S. I ended up playing college tennis for two years before transferring to USC.

3) Favorite thing about the project you lead?
The kids at Gramercy Place and Angel Guardian are amazing! Their smiles make my day. The kids look forward to meeting new volunteers
because they want to meet new people and learn from them. On the other hand, I look forward to seeing these kids because they have so much energy and great ideas to share with the group!

4) Top tip for leading volunteers in a project?
Be prepared :) I always bring extra supplies, just in case more kids or volunteers show up. Also, I always have a second plan, just in case some kids want to do something else.

No comments: